Sunday 26 December 2010

Mixed Bag

Report. R.Lane. 26th December 2010

"Greetings of the Season to one and all ! Congratulations to Andy on the Bittern and Bar-Headed Geese photo's this morning, what a Xmas present ! I can assure you I never saw either of them today. But at c.3.30pm my driver (!) stopped by Par Pool so that I could get a '2nd-hand' resume of the day's lesser avian fauna for a totally reliable source, one IAN PROFIT, still 'scoping the pool at dusk. All these records are HIS, and probably include more, that he, or I, forgot !
At Par Pool: at least 1 x Bittern (c.3.15pm), Ian now believes there are 2 x Bitterns present from his personal observation (and also has a Bittern tick from his house window !). Lesser items include sundry duck, notably c.50 Wigeon, 1 x Goldeneye (male), also Tufted Duck and possibly Pochard (?).(I.P.)
In Par Bay this morning, as well as the G.C.Grebe flock, were: 4 x Eider Duck, 2 x G.N.Diver and 1 x RED THROATED DIVER (I.P.).
At Spit beach (this p.m.apparently) were NINE x Purple Sandpipers and a selection of recent waders (but no Grey Plover seen). In the Harbour were a few waders including 1 x Sanderling, and also the male Scaup was still present (I.P.). There may have been more mentioned which I forget. Whatever, Ian had a good Boxing Day, as did Andy! The variety of birds around Par on this one day was bigger than the six months of summer altogether!"

Thanks to Roger and of course Ian.
The cold spell has certainly livened up the Baywatch Sites.
I hope the bird figures continue into the new year.....not the cold spell though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites