Friday 23 April 2010

Report from Roger Lane. 23rd April 2010

"Went 'out-of-bounds' today up to Breney Comm. and Helman Tor. Hot but too windy, a fair-few butterflies around Breney perimeter, but drew a virtual blank on Helman Tor, not a bird or a butterfly! Saw my first 20+, Large Red Damselflies at Breney, but that's a late spot (high). No cuckoo heard either, not even a migrant wheatear !
Called in at Par on way home c.6pm. Only Sedge Warbler heard at the pond, but on Par Beach were 12 x Whimbrels, while 20+ flew west (after all it is 'whimbrel week'!). Only other items noted were 6+, Sand. Terns. Sorry it's so brief, not your patch really anyway ! "

Thanks for the report Roger.

I have rounded off a dismal week bird wise. Today was a carbon copy of yesterday including the Kestrel. The Manoa valley was just as bad as St Andrews and Par with very little seen except Corvids.
Even though I stated the Dipper was easy to see after knowing its patch I will now retract that statement as I can see how the new growing vegatation will provide a lot more cover than when I saw them daily in the winter months. I am still on the learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites