Saturday 27 March 2010

The Silent Valley

I had a little wander down the Manoa Valley this morning. On the outward walk to look for the Dipper I saw very little...a brief glimpse of a Wren but no Hirundines over the Sewage Tanks. A walk down the River did not produce a sighting of the Dipper...very unusual ..but as time was limited I walked back towards the car. A couple of Sand Martins flew overhead and I thought it was promising. A Goldcrest was in one of the trees along with a Chaffinch but I could not get a shot as they were well behind twigs and branches.
Back at the carpark the air was alive with Sand Martins and a lone Swallow...probably a dozen plus Martins but it was difficult to count.
Everytime I wander down the Valley I think of the poem *The Listeners. by Walter del a Mare*
I cannot hear the birds...but they can hear me....I think they see me before I see them...I know they are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites