Monday 9 November 2009

Great Northern Diver

Called in at Porthpean at midday to try and locate the Divers. My luck was in as I saw a life tick and two patch ticks. The life tick was a Great Northern Diver and the other patch tick a Slavonian Grebe which was a little way closer to the shore.
Also a solitary Oystercatcher was seaching the shoreline directly below me and was joined very briefly by three Pied Wagtails that flew off in the Par direction.
Later in the afternoon 1400 hrs I had a shortish look around PBP and the shoreline.
THe Tufted Ducks were still on the pool and I managed a very poor noisy record shot. They kept themselves to the back of the pool which is well out of range for my lens to get a good shot.
A pair of Grey Wagtails were zooming up and down the river rather like Swallows but were far to fast for me to get a shot of them. The Kingfisher stayed out of sight so did the Stonechats which is most unusual.
A dozen Oystercatchers were on the beach but got chased by a dog and flew off to the harbour wall at Spit.
Turnstones were a plenty at the *Salad Bowl* and again I got quite close for a few reasonable shots.
The weather was more agreeable and I consider it a good days birdwatching.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent well done .. Never seen a Slav Grebe so will keep my eyes open. Going to nip down for a 8am start 2moz and see what I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will probably need a scope as they are some way out . They were at Porthpean about five or six hundred yards away close to a red buoy. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the life tick Trevor.
    Certainly was a good days birdwatching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Keith. Yes it was ..but not for photographing them. Even the butterfly today seemed to be sub-standard. O! I miss the Stonchats.

    ReplyDelete

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites