Tuesday 4 January 2011

Year Lister

Report.T.R.Moore. 4th January 2011

This time of the year a lot of birders are out and about adding to their new year list. Me included.
This morning I was on a respectable 72...71 for the Baywatch Sites and I was determined to fill in a few chinks.
Two of them Dipper and Grey Wagtail I was confident I would see at the Manoa Valley. The Marsh Tit was a fair bet at St Andrews so that was today's plan.

Manoa Valley 1030 hrs.
A lot of small birds were moving through the trees as I pulled onto the car park adjacent to the Sewage works.
Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tits and Blue Tits were seen also numerous Pied Wagtails inside the works gate.
Strangely on the way to the river nothing was seen with the exception of a lone Buzzard perched in the trees a field away.
Getting to the river I saw the Dipper 30 yards upstream...you cannot move upstream from this point on the bank I was on. After taken a record shot it chose to fly off further upstream and I know unless it got flushed (unlikely as the opposite bank is rough with very few walkers.) then it would stay where it was.
Two ladies approached me and asked what I was photographing. After telling them they said ..."there are two more feeding someway downstream as we have just passed them."
Well they were correct ...a hundred yards down I saw them both within ten foot of each other...I photographed them both and thought...I have photographed three different Dippers within 30 minutes of arrival...it will take something to better that.
Now I was looking for the Grey Wagtail the Dippers shadow. Well I never saw one the whole walk back to the car park.
Back at the car I was watching two Goldcrest in the tree opposite but not once did they offer a clean photograph.
Just as I started the car up to leave a Grey Wagtail landed on the road 30 yards away..tick two right on the button.

St Andrews Pool 1500hrs.

The Cafe was in good heart today.
Marsh Tit 3
Long-tailed Tit 2
Robin 2
Blue Tit 4
Great Tit 4
Dunnock 2
Song Thrush 1
Corvids many
Water Rail 2

Par Beach 1600.hrs
Saw the 3 Brent Geese 30 yards out to sea.

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites