Monday 31 January 2011

Iced up Par.

Report. R.Lane. 31st January 2011

A brief visit to Par this afternoon showed a 80% iced-over Pool with limited numbers of wildfowl. On the Pool were: 4 x Bar-headed Geese; 3 x Shoveler (fems); 2 x Scaup; 1+, Gadwall and 10+, Teal.
On the Bay were: 18+, G.C.Grebes; 2 +, Eider Duck (fems) and, unusually, a small flock of 5 x Goosanders (fems) preening just offshore. In the Dunes were 2 x Stonechats(pr) and 10+, Goldfinch.
On the way out 50+ Redwings were seen feeding on the Par football pitch.

Thank you for the report Roger.
I had a quick visit to the Manoa Valley at midday. I was too well wrapped up as it was a very pleasant wind free walk and I was sweating in the Davy Crockett on the way back.
Nearly all of the trees alongside the river have been cut down leaving it rather barren looking. The water was high and coloured and I could not find a Dipper at first so I continued walking till I came to the Holiday Park.
A pair of Dippers were just a few yards downstream of the bridge and I think they were collecting nesting material. On the way back I did see another Dipper a long way from the other two so I suppose that makes three.
A pair of Grey Wagtails were also performing a courting ritual darting back and forth chasing each other.
Close to the recently ploughed field I spotted a Male and female Bullfinch to round off a good day of pairs.

Summary.
Dippers 3
Grey Wagtail 2
Song Thrush 2
Bullfinch 2
Wren 2
Robin 2
Long-tailed Tit 2
Goldcrest 1.

The only negative to the days walk was....I had knocked a setting on my camera turning off the image stabilizer . What should have been one of my best ever shooting days turned into an average photographic wise.

1 comment:

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites