Tuesday 25 May 2010

Birds and Butterflies

Report. R.Lane. 24th May 2010

"Got out in the afternoon when I went to Treskilling Downs. Butterflies encountered (mostly at the roadside) were as follows:
1 x Lg.White;
6 x GVWhites;
1 x Comm.Blue(1st for site, 2010)
1 x Peacock;
10+, S.P.B.Fritillaries(1st for site, 2010)
20+, Sm.Heaths
At the SW tip of the Downs was TresK Pit where various Damsel and Dragonflies were seen, and a Green Woodpecker was having a good Yaffle. There were also a small flock of hirundines (Swallow, Sand Martin, where a few still nest, and House Martins) Back on the Downs for once I had good views of White-throats and Yellow Hammers.
A quick stop south of the Luxulyan Viaduct in a paddock surrounded by trees gave: 4 x GVWhites; 3 x Orange-Tips (2 fems, egg laying on Lady Smock); also 1 x Peacock and 1 x Comma, in arial combat !
Another quick stop at Pontsmill,N at 4.30pm showed I was too late for butterflies really and all I managed were 4 x GVWhites; 1 x Orange-Tip; 1 x Red Admiral (immigrant) and 1 x COMMA (getting even later for these). But I did see my 1st Beautiful demoiselle damselfly, for Pontsmill, and also my 1st two Hornets for the year.
Then to end the day 'with a cracker' I met Trevor at Snowlands and he showed me the correct place to see the SQUACCO Heron, at last ! Many thanks Trevor, a super bird and excellent photo yesterday !"

Thanks for the report Roger.
Sorry it is up late but I had trouble with the formatting and as I had to have an early start today I left it.

Glad to be of assistance (that makes a change) and really happy we connected with it to add to your Year List at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites