Tuesday 27 April 2010

Report from Roger Lane. 27th April 2010

"Strange day of variable weather, the sun came out strongly at 4pm, I was in the wilderness area at Par, and the following butterflies put in an appearance : 3 x Sm.White; 1 x GVWhite; 2 x Orange-Tips; 1 x SM.COPPER, male, my 1st this year and earliest for patch I believe, also 2 x Peacocks; 1 x Comma and 10+, Sp.Woods
Even stranger day for birds, the were none to speak of, apart from the Cetti's Warbler singing loudly from a gorse bush 10ft from the road ! The only other bird of some note was in the western wilderness (with the butterflies). I was near the Par river when a cricket started up, I thought, but as it went on and on ! I realised it was a GRASSHOPPER WARBLER, almost under my feet ! The reeling stopped and a LBJob was seen to flit across the river tributory (narrow there) into low vegetation on the other side, looking like a gropper should i.e. 'streaky backed'. (Have seen several at Breney including broods. Although this one was typically in low vegetation, there were reeds round about, but I discounted Savi's Warbler which favours open environs. I doubt if this was the one heard last week in the dunes (some half-mile away), but who knows. Anyway it was my first seen at Par,"

Thanks for the report Roger.

Well done with the Gropper...another for the Latest Sighting List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites