Friday 16 April 2010

Report from Roger Lane. (15th April 2010)

"Great news about the Red-necked Grebe(s), mid April is the right time for them, but usually off Charlestown/Porthpean. Divers a-plenty I see too, from Derek. I can't get to overlook the sea much, due to the easter tourists ! Regarding Par birds, I did call in briefly (6pm) to PBPool, where I had the strange combination of 1 x Tufted Duck, 1+, Whimbrels calling overhead and a VERY elusive Cetti's Warbler. It sang first from the reeds, then a willow, then a gorse bush and finally a fir tree, befor retracing it's path back into the reeds. I was 2 metres away again and despite it's repeated singing I did not SEE the bird at all ! How do they do that !
Otherwise it was to Pontsmill and butterflies (following another hosp.appointment all morning). Did quite well considering wind-chill: more Brimstones, Sm.White; Orange-Tips; Holly Blues etc., but the only 'new' one for the patch was 1 x Large White (male).
I see Mark found those Red-legged Partridges yesterday, among others. Wonder if he was out today, or working !"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites