Wednesday 24 March 2010

Report from Roger Lane. (24th March 2010)

"Out to lunch today, then my 'usual' hour at Par. Not a lot in this weather, and no hirundines by 4.30pm either. However, the rain had brought down a single Black-tailed Godwit feeding around the edge of Par Beach Pool, but seen in flight to ascertain species (black & white wing-bars). Apparently nothing else but the rain and fog was inhibitive.
Moved up to western car park for 15mins (rain blowing in windows), but was lucky enough to see 2 x Gannets (adult) which 'should' be nesting on the Bass Rock, or at least Grassholm ! Also a sight which fooled me for a few seconds, 3 x G.C.Grebes FLYING from the west to their usual spot in the Bay (most odd in flight). I saw another singleton in the Bay shortly after which I think may have been a 4th bird. So, possibly FOUR left, at least.
So, where were the hirundines? Well, en route to Par I drove past Somerfields supermarket when a Swallow flew overhead accompanied by c.5 x Sd.Martins, probably the same group as yesterday at Par which had not 'moved on' due to awful weather. Or, maybe same group visiting the supermarket for food ?"

Thanks for the report Roger.
I am going to have (hopefully)some Years Ticks when I finally get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites