Thursday 11 March 2010

Nuthatch at Pontsmill.

Another early start 0930 hrs and the first destination was Pontsmill. It was a really pleasant morning and very rewarding as the bird I came to see was practically the first I saw. I scanned the trees after getting out of the car and there it was....a Nuthatch...my first in Cornwall and only the third I have ever seen. Unfortunately it did not stay around long enough for me to photograph it. Still I was pleased as Punch...a Year Tick, and Patch Tick. I tried for the Dipper but did not see it.

St Andrews Pool was next ....much the same as yesterday. All the usual woodland birds with the exception of the Marsh Tit. I photographed a Wren..and just missed the Mistle Thrush.
The Pool held only the usual residents with the Mute Swans back.

Par Beach Pool held the big nine and nothing else was seen.
The Bay at 1100 hrs held two Cormorants and a lone G.C.Grebe alongside the Gulls out on the water.
No waders at all were seen.
A few woodland birds were in the treetops by the rough car park...namely Greenfinches , Goldfinches and Dunnocks.

The Nuthatch made it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites