Friday 18 September 2009

Roger Lane Reports.

" I too went to Par during the grey afternoon but saw very little on PBP. Except 'resident's : 1 x L.Egret; 2 x G.Herons; 2 x Cormorants. However, I forgot to tell you that there were 4+, TEAL on the Pool YESTERDAY (17thSept).
No interesting Ducks (or Geese) today (18th), so I went on to 'Harbour Car-park', nothing even when walking on the tide line. Was just leaving when flock of 25+ waders flew in !
Today's flock was composed of c.15 Ringed Plover (incl. young); c.10 x Dunlin, which all landed on the beach allowing my count, but one larger wader flew on round to Spit and this was 1 x REDSHANK, scarce at Par (unsuitable sand habitat i.e. no mud) but annual at Spit. Indeed 4 or 5 always wintered in Par Inner Harbour, which is all mud.
Drove on to Porthpean (5pm) and although disappointing for me, with many Shags and a few Cormorants 'only', well offshore there were 2 x COMM. SCOTER ! St.Austell Bay usually has a wintering flock by now and (I believe) still holds record for max. sized flock of 168 !"

Thanks for the report Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
CURRENT MOON
>
free counters Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites